At least 200 girls were rushed to a hospital from their school on Saturday morning in Delhi’s Tughlakabad after a gas leak from a nearby container depot left some of them unconscious and others with nausea and irritation in eyes.
According to police, a call was received at around 7:35am about some chemical leakage at customs area of Tughlaqabad depot, which is located near the Rani Jhansi School for Girls run by the city government. The school’s principal said the children complained of suffocation and irritation in the eyes.
Around 100 students were admitted to the Majeedia Hospital and 62 at Batra Hospital, in addition to smaller groups that were sent to other medical facilities, Harshvardhan, the additional DCP of Southeast district said.
Following the incident, teams of police and National Disaster Response Force as well as CATS ambulance reached the spot.
“Around 200 children have been admitted to four hospitals for treatment. No one is serious. Situation is normal,” Romil Baniya, Deputy Commissioner of Police, South-East, told ANI.
Deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia tweeted hours later, saying that he has asked for a magisterial inquiry into the incident. “I spoke to the girls and the doctors, the condition of the students is normal,” he said, after visiting the hospitals the schoolkids were taken to.
“Some chemical leakage at customs area of Tughlaqabad depot has caused eye irritation to the students in Rani Jhansi school,” DCP(Southeast) Romil Baaniya said.
Officials from Delhi Police and the National Disaster Response Force were attempting to identify the chemical and how it leaked.
It was unclear if the truck was inside the container depot or the driver had begun to drive away with the leak, said a fire official.
Lieutenant governor Anil Baijal also visited the hospitals where the children were being treated.
To Write your views about it download WordBite App and start writing, And also to Read/Write more amazing content like this download WordBite App now!